6.23.2008

A Colossal Update

Since there has been so much interest in this mascara, I thought I'd take the opportunity to post some more thoughts on it, having used it for more than a week. [Initial thoughts - here]

Now that I'm over my little summer cold, the odor of this mascara is really getting to me. I've got a pretty sensitive sense of smell, but I tend to ignore most smells of a chemical nature. It's typically strong sweet scents, like vanilla or roses, that bother me and give me a headache.

This, however, smells like.. well, the only way I can think to describe it is - have you ever left a mostly-empty bottle of soda in your car or in direct sunlight, only to discover it a few days later? (Ok, maybe I'm a slob) but Maybelline Colossal has that very nasty fermented smell.

The first few days, as I was coming off my cold, I thought it had been dissipating once I applied it to my lashes. But just yesterday, I put it on and dashed out to run an errand. And as I was driving, I could smell it wafting down from my eyelashes. Not pleasant.

While Colossal does give me reasonably vibrant lashes, I simply cannot abide by the smell. And it doesn't necessarily perform better than L'Oreal Voluminous or Covergirl Lash Blast for me to overlook its (very obvious!) flaw. For now, it's going to be relegated to makeup purgatory until I reach for it a few weeks from now, hoping that it has mellowed out.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com