7.18.2008

Thoughts on Urban Decay Primer Potion

I've been avoiding talking about this product. I was afraid I'd offend the almost cultish following that this product enjoys. But here goes.

The Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP) is meant to provide a base which eye shadow and liner can "hold" onto throughout the day, and also a canvas of sorts for more even application that is true to the color of the product.

UDPP comes in a genie-inspired purple tube with a wand whose handle looks like an artifact from The Mummy movies. It could be cute, and is somewhat whimsical, but I don't find it practical. It's too large for an eye makeup primer, and I don't like the wand applicator. It makes digging into the lashline (for liner) rather difficult. It's okay for dabbing on the primer though, but since you have to rub it in with your fingers anyway, I wouldn't have minded if this came in a small tube instead.

The primer itself is a nude-colored liquid that has the consistency of a lightweight lotion. It is not at all sticky and doesn't get very goopy. However, I don't like the color at all, precisely because it shouldn't appear to have one on my skin, but does. It looks like I took some milky paste to my lids and instead of providing a good base for other colors, almost acts like a highlighter and slightly changs the application of whatever shadow I choose to use.

Admittedly, I don't wear much eye makeup. This didn't really make any of the liners I use more long-lasting. I may have to try with a heavier eye someday, since I know that is probably what it was intended for. But I think I'm just as good with a good concealer (my Black Opal one works well for this purpose), or the Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Fast-Fix Eye Shadow Base since it is easier to use, although some chalky residue also remains with that one. I don't know if I would pay $16 for this - luckily I received mine as a freebie.

Ok, don't hate me - that's it. If I fall in love with it as many others have, I'll be sure to let everyone know. Maybe Expensive Pink will bring out the best in it.

1 comments:

Sania said...

Su - maybe you're using too much? I never have this show up with any color on my lids, and they are very very purple.

Agreed that the tube is impractical though.

 
template by suckmylolly.com