7.21.2008

Powder Preference - L'Oreal vs. MAC

Another reason why I like L'Oreal. It convinced me to return a new MAC powder I bought.

I've never been able to settle on a pressed powder I like for two reasons - 1) I don't have great skin and avoid using face makeup/cover-up on it 2) I have never had enough of a makeup routine to warrant using a good pressed powder everyday.

Recently, being 25.5 years old and still evolving, I've been more diligent about using face powder, especially since I do have oily skin. I lost my MAC Studio Fix pressed powder a while ago, and had bought the L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Powder (W4) to temporarily replace it. It worked fine, but I was hoping to go back to a more high-end product.

At MAC, I asked for something with more sheer coverage than the Studio Fix since I had never been particularly happy with it anyway. I ended up with the Select Sheer/Pressed Powder (NW25), which the makeup artist selected and matched to my face with 2 questions and a light dusting that lasted all of 45 seconds.

When I brought it home, I realized how much lighter in the pan it appeared compared to my L'Oreal, although they both looked the same on my skin. The L'Oreal shade was definitely truer to my actual skin tone. The MAC powder also made my face feel a bit dry, whereas I can barely feel the L'Oreal one. Back to the store went the MAC.

I hadn't realized what a good match the L'Oreal powder was, and what a reasonable job it was doing, especially considering the price. For my skin tone especially, I think it might actually offer a better selection of shades that work. Also, the L'Oreal powder has a separate compartment for the sponge, while MAC's does not - interesting, since the Studio Fix did.

Continously impressed by this brand. In the future, will avoid MAC when it comes to high-end and will try Clinique or Prescriptives instead. L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Powder, $10.95 @ Drugstore.com; MAC Select Sheer/Pressed Powder, $21.00 @ MAC

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com