9.17.2008

A Skincare Classic - Pears Soap

I've been having terrible luck with skincare products lately - they're either too drying/moisturizing or just plain old irritating, especially with this changing weather in NY. To top it off, I'm starting a Retin-A regimen which will likely make things worse.

My only friends have been Burt's Bees Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub and The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Blemish Stick (a true godsend, by the way). I use the scrub every few days and the blemish stick has taken care of some nasty, cyst-like zits pronto. But I've been on the hunt for a gentle cleanser and moisturizer.

I almost turned to Kiehl's, but that's is a bit pricey for me right now. So I rubbed my chin, twirled my hair, read some online reviews, and decided that I should find a basic, gentle soap instead and use small amounts of an equally basic moisturizer (think Pond's or Oil of Olay).

I twirled my hair some more over options such as Dove Beauty Bar when all of a sudden, I remembered Pears Soap. How could I have forgotten about Pears?! Good old, originally British soap now only manufactured in India that I remember my sister and mother using as a kid (and still have a pack of at home - not in new apartment). A unique, transparent, amber bar with a lovely fresh scent that seemed ideal for what I need right now.

I tried to find reviews online (just for fun), but found nada, although there is a great history about it on Wikipedia here.

I'm surprised this doesn't have its own cult following. Of course, very few drugstores or pharmacies carry it. I finally found a few at an awesomely huge 99 cent store that kept everything from "ethnic" brands to Britain's traditional Yardley's soaps. I used it the other day and was relieved at how simple and non-irritating it actually is. Soaps in general are a bit drying, especially in cooler weather, so I plan on using this minimally but so far, it's been a great alternative to more expensive brands. My skin is clean and balanced, and that is about all I need.

For those of you who are into such things, give Pears a try. It's also hypo-allergenic and non-comedogenic, so if you have breakout-prone skin, fear not. At about 99 cents a bar or $2.49 for a pack of 3, you can't go wrong.

3 comments:

An Indian's Makeup Blog said...

I LOVE Pears!! I did use it when I was young....and absolutely love the smell ! The adverts for it were also super cute !

Truckspotter said...

Yes, it's great :) Do you use it? If not, any other recs?

An Indian's Makeup Blog said...

My absolute fav bath product ever was this body condition from Bath and Body Works ....called Breathe Delight Skin Conditioning In shower Moisturizer....unfortunately they dont make it any more :( I was devastated when I heard that ...

 
template by suckmylolly.com