9.08.2008

On Indian Beauty

Do you want this woman giving you beauty advice? To be fair, the woman pictured on the left has been called the Helena Rubinstein of India - mighty impressive if you ask me. She is Shahnaz Husain, Indian beauty entrepreneur whose Ayurvedic products reach the likes of yours truly from New Delhi to New York. Read about her empire in "Indian Beauty" from the Wall Street Journal.

I myself am a total sucker for "natural" skincare and beauty products, particularly if they are from reputable Indian brands, including Shahnaz Husain, Biotique, and Himalaya Herbal Healthcare. When it comes to Shahnaz, I've had pretty good experiences with the line's kajal eyeliner, moisturizer, and an occasional face "pack" or two. Don't know how I feel about the company's philosophy or business aspirations, but wouldn't it be funny if this was the face behind the latest addition to Sephora, QVC, or Whole Foods?

On a more serious note, I do think it would be a refreshing addition, and would be thrilled to find such products at popular stores rather than hunting them down in Little India or Jackson Heights in NY. Can't say the prices would be so pleasing, but let's see what happens.

Here's to Husain's rosy aspirations...

7 comments:

An Indian's Makeup Blog said...

Really! I am glad she will selling her products out here! I did try her oxygen mask once....it was hilarious. Was suppose to infuse oxygen into my face or something like that. I fell for it but it did nothing for my face :(
But I believe her facials are one of the best! They have nice DIY kits! Hope they are affordable for me...

Kanan said...

When I get facials done, I go with her stuff. And I like it. Glad to know about her making it big. Thanks for the info.

Truckspotter said...

Yes, this should be interesting. If you guys are into these things, you should also definitely try the Himalayan brand I mentioned as well as Biotique - they're actually better in my opinion. Shahnaz is all about the marketing/packaging.

An Indian's Makeup Blog said...

Hey Shrooms!
I agree...I have tried both Himalayas and Boutique. My friend has this awesome face wash from Himalayan brand...its nice and green...love the smell and it makes your face squeaky clean.
I have this milk protein face pack form Boutique... its a mess but I guess the milk will help soften the face...their other masks are outta this world. Love em!

Truckspotter said...

Of course I've tried the milk protein pack from Biotique! :) I also love their Honey Gel cleanser - so refreshing and nothing irritating about it. They really have some great products. I don't know where your from, but Butala Emporium in Manhattan carries both Biotique and Himalayan. Let me know if you try anything else from them in the near future!

monica said...

i used to like vasanti because their concealer and face powder was PERFECT for my face, but the quality of the make-up is so bad that I gave up on them. are the other brands you mention better in quality, and where can i try them out?

Truckspotter said...

For makeup, I don't know of any major Indian brands that are very good. Gala of London has some great eyeliners though, but it's hard to find. I've been wondering whatever happened to Lubna Khalid's Real Cosmetics (check out the website) - apparently the company is still around, but I never hear about any of its products. Will keep my eyes open...

 
template by suckmylolly.com