9.09.2008

Black 'n' BIV

Remember how I mentioned Laura Mercier's Black Violet eye liner oh, just about every other day? I reluctantly let go of that irrational desire for a violet/purplish eyeliner only to circle back to it a few weeks ago. Damn that Jordana Easyliner in Eggplant! I liked it enough to continue searching for similar, but perhaps slightly better options that are in the BIV family (blue, indigo, violet - yes, as in ROY G BIV).

I like Eggplant a lot. I really do. But that wine/burgundy quality about it that I liked so much? Well, surprise, surprise - it made me want to go bluer and more purple. Go figure. So I subconsciously edged my way towards LM Black Violet without ever quite getting there.

I began by perusing the drugstore aisles for a cross between Black Violet and Eggplant. Some contenders: Almay Amazing Eye Liner in Purple Amethyst and Raisin Quartz (liquid and pencil formulas), N.Y.C Waterproof Eyeliner in Smoky Plum, Wet 'n' Wild H20 Proof Eye Liner in Amethyst Pearl, Maybelline Define-A-Line Eyeliner in Rich Raisin, and Revlon Beyond Natural Defining Eye Pencil in Plumberry, and Revlon Luxurious Color Eyeliner in Burnished Amber.

I bought, tried, and returned both the Almay in Purple Amethyst (pencil) and the N.Y.C Waterproof liner in Smoky Plum. First off, let me just say how impressed I was the N.Y.C pencil - it was soft and creamy (but not too creamy), actually gliding on with no tugging. The color was also pretty nice - a slightly blue-toned plum with a slight metallic sheen. Sadly, this just wasn't pigmented enough for me. Gave some sort of simple, smoky effect but wasn't all that noticeable. However, at a later time I will definitely purchase a basic black from this line - it may just be the budget-conscious option to Make Up Forever's Aqua Eyes in Matte Black 01.

Purple Amethyst was an almost neon, blue-purple nightmare on my hand but it was less than special on the eyes. I would have been better off using a simple navy blue instead because this color just didn't stand out or blend in - very weird.

Chances are that the Raisin varieties won't fare much better either. Sigh. I may just have to succumb and try Black Violet, but I know it will be a royal mess on my eyes. With cooler weather approaching, however, perhaps it stands a chance.

For now, it's back to the basics - a swipe of black liquid eyeliner and lipstick. Always reliable, if a bit boring.

Hope to try Revlon's Plumberry next - stay tuned.

2 comments:

CL said...

i've heard great things about the wet 'n' wild non h20 proof liquid eyeliner! did you try that?

Truckspotter said...

Yes, I've tried it and have it both in Black and Dark Brown! I'm not sure if they changed the design of the brush though, because this is now a clumsy sort of nub (not even a true felt tip) instead of a brush. I actually prefer L'Oreal Lineur Intense - it also has one of those "nub" designs but has a fine point that is easier to use than the WnW. Try it :)

 
template by suckmylolly.com